At a time when we think our life’s are running perfectly & feel that we are invincible, it can be shocking and debilitating to suddenly have everything change. Sometimes it’s through our own decisions & sometimes not. But the aftermath can make us feel like we have to ‘pick up the pieces’. Which may lead to a feeling of not being able to push through, to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
I don’t claim to have had anything major happen in my life. But recently a lot has changed for me, paths felt lost at times, and I really felt like I had to push through to a more positive outlook. I would like to carry on this mindset throughout life.
I love this quote from Havelock Ellis – All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on.
I feel these words really ring true with how life can be. You really need to adjust to any situation that life may present you with, and learn what passions in life are worth holding onto, and what pieces on your journey that you need to let go of, to open the right doors. This is strength.
It’s hard to tell someone to just be positive. And I’m not telling you to. But that being said, you can decide your own happiness, you are in control, even if it feels like you aren’t.
Things that have helped me –
- Realising your life is forever changing and moving forward, you may be down in this moment in ‘time’ but everything can and will change. Fast forward your life a year from now and imagine yourself in a better position and healthier state of mind. New doors open everyday.
- Being present in the moment. Taking in this moment as you read this, not looking back or forward just enjoying the moment that you just are.
- Perfection isn’t healthy. Imperfections are really what make us beautiful. Every decision and every mistake you have made are a lesson, you can learn and grown from. You would not be the person you are today without everything that has happened to you.
- Focusing on what you really desire and want in life. Keeping that thought everyday and pushing through.
- Get down to the basics of life, which are of course – Health and happiness.
- Taking one day at a time.
- Letting go of everything that does not serve you. Especially resentment and anger! And move on to focusing on gratitude and admiration.
- Meditate to build a sense of your own headspace. I use a free app called ‘breathe’